Wetlands (Conservation and Management Rules) 2017
The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) has notified Wetlands (Conservation and Management) Rules, 2017 under the provisions of the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986 as regulatory framework for conservation and management of wetlands in India. This is a significant step to conserve, manage and maintain the ecological character of the wetlands without restricting the wise use. These rules fortify the legal framework for environmental concerns and strengthen the institutional framework through State / UT Wetland Authorities and a National Wetland Committee.
Wetlands (Conservation and Management) Rules 2017 have enhanced the focus of management of wetlands from a central authority to state bodies. The rules provide for an advisory role for the National Wetland Committee, to guide the state bodies on the integrated management of wetlands based on wise‐use principle and review the progress of integrated management of Ramsar Convention sites among other roles.
The Guidelines for the Rules have been drafted to support the State Governments / Union Territory (UT) Administrations in the implementation of the Rules by providing guidance on various aspects like identifying wetlands for notification under the Rules, delineating wetlands, wetland complexes and zones of influence, preparation of Brief Document, developing a list of activities to be regulated and permitted, constitution and operational matters of the Wetlands Authorities among other issues.
- Protection of Wetlands as per Rule 4 of the Wetlands (Conservation and Management) Rules, 2017
- SWA constitution orders as available with MoEF&CC
- National Wetlands Committee – OM dated 10.02.2022 – Nomination of next round of States and Expert Members
- Final Notifications of Cottambi, Xeldem, Toyyar, Dashi, Sarzora and Nanda Lakes
- Sukhna Wetland Notification
- ‘NWC’ constituted under the Wetlands Rules, 2017 – Nomination of States and Expert Members
- Raamgarh Taal Notification
- Draft Notifications for Toyyar, Dashi, Sarzora, Pilerne and Xeldem Lakes
- Draft Notifications for Nanda, Cottambi, Batim, Durga and Carambolim Lakes